Monday, November 26

Wednesday night games - Attika, San Juan

On Wednesday night (Nov. 21st), I was able to squeeze in a few pre-Thanksgiving games with Doug and Paul. I brought my fairly recent acquisitions of Attika and San Juan, which neither of them had played.

The first game of Attika ended when each of us had about two-thirds of our buildings on the board. By saving two amphora and using a couple of turns building up resource cards, I was able to lay down a new hex and make a sudden move at the temple Paul was guarding. Although I didn’t get the draw I needed to build all the way there on the first turn, Paul only had a couple of resources and couldn’t manage to block. I’m not sure if Doug could have blocked the spot, but if so he chose not to form a new (and permanently unconnected) settlement and I was able to connect two temples shortly thereafter.

Both wanted to try Attika again, so we played a second game. Doug made an early move towards the center and allowed me to connect to the temple behind him. From that point it was very hard to block me. It was over in about five turns.

Next we opened up San Juan. It was their first and only my second game. I opened strong, getting an early library and a quick lead. Doug went strong on production buildings and Paul got an archive and then a library a bit later. I got a number of cards with the poor house and began to stock my chapel with quite a few cards. I missed some builds though, and Doug got a guild house and edged me out by one point.

Doug is going to borrow both games so I’m hoping for some more tightly contested games of Attika in the near future. After having played four times now, I’m very impressed with the design. Despite drawing tiles, there seems to be little luck and many tactical options.

No comments: